Skip to main content

Assignment 7: Weight

Despite this being one of the hardest challenging, I found this one the most fun because I experimented a lot. Before I was usually scared to make drawing continuously thinking it wasn't going to work, but for this one I did drawing continuously and then I looked at how it looked when I was done drawing. So, in total I drew +100 frames (don't remember the exact number of frames) without analyzing how it looked, but just went with the flow assuming it was good. Obviously this led to a decent amount of mistakes, it looked "swimmy" because each drawing had different proportions,  so it looked a bit weird. Despite this, you could clearly tell what the character was trying to do, and I think I did a fairly good job at portraying the struggle in the character's face as he was trying to push the boulder. Additionally, I think it was a nice touch to add the character scratching its head before it attempted to push the boulder.


As mentioned before, the "swimmy" look is clearly seen in the animation as you can see the size of the shoes changes between each frame. This really could've been an easy fix by copying and pasting the shoes in each frame. 

Funny story, with this assignment, I actually was going to recreate the following scene from a new anime that I'm watching called Ousama Ranking. The show is about a deaf kid who is incredibly weak, without even able to carry a sword. He has no friends and nobody believes in him being able to become the next king (he is technically the king's heir). This is a spoiler, but it happens in episode 2 so it isn't massive.


I think the weight portrayed in this scene is fantastic, especially with the voice acting. You can really tell the kid is struggling to carry the sword by seeing the sweat on his face and the grit on his teeth as he really is trying to pick up the sword. I was doing a good job with recreating this, but then I realized it was going to take really long. I had spent around 2 hours and I was barely at 10% done, so I had to switch up what I was going to do.


Comments