Skip to main content

Assignment 4 and 5: Flour Sack Gestures and Animation

 This assignment was pretty difficult. It involved two parts, in which we first had to draw gestures for a character, in this case a flour sack, which we would then animate using those gestures as references. I drew this gestures on paper and I do have to say, I feel much more comfortable drawing on paper than on a tablet. The difference between drawing on computer and on paper for me is massive. I do a much better job at drawing on paper.














As seen from this, the point of this was to come up with as many gestures as possible and then choose one to bring it "to life" by animating a sequence involving the gesture. I ended up choosing the murder gesture which involved two flour sacks instead of one.


As mentioned at the beginning, this was a difficult assignment mainly because it was hard to precisely animate how the body would react to shooting a gun and then how a body would react to being shot. After looking at references, this became even harder, in the sense that I realized that there was going to be many frames to accurately portray the body's reaction to both shooting a gun and being shot. I also took inspiration from a scene in "Jujutsu Kaisen" which involved shooting a gun and then zooming into the bullet and seeing how it moved. I think this adds a bit more tension to the scene because the speed a bullet is extremely fast so animating its trajectory adds to the "suspense" because you are able to clearly see if the bullet will hit its target or not. I also think it looks cool so I decided to add it.

As you can see from this, besides looking 100000x better than the animation I did. You can see this animation does something similar, where it zooms in the bullet when it's shot as well as zooming into the character's facial expression to see which expression she was making as she was about to get shot. I was surprised when I found out this was almost entirely CG because it looked really good. Usually, you can easily tell CG apart from 2D but this animation was really well done.

Regarding my work, I think it had potential to be a really good animation. First of all, I made a mistake in zooming to the bullet and then making a cut to zooming out, the bullet had changed position. Unless you're really paying attention, it it isn't going to be that noticeable but I still should've paid more attention to keep the position exactly the same as to from where it started. Also, when the second flour sack got shot, the reaction was very unnatural, even though it's a sack, I think I could've done a much better job at portraying what the sack felt as it got shot. I think the addition of the exclamation marks were a nice touch to show the flour sack was panicking as it was about to get shot.

Comments