Skip to main content

Assignment 2: Bouncing Ball

 This was the first assignment where I felt challenged. I still think I could've made a much simpler animation and got the same score. I spent around 2 hours on this (if I remember correctly) but I got way too ambitious with this. In fact, I was even going to do it more complex than it currently is but I got too stressed and decided to rush it. 


As you can see from the video, I think I did a good job with the bounce of the ball when it bounced off the stairs. My goal was to give it a "trampoline effect" which is why the ball went down, pulling the stair downwards with it and then up, just like a trampoline. This took a bit of time as it was my first time attempting something like this and I did it without reference which was probably not the best decision.

As seen from the animation, a hand appears out of nowhere and pushes the ball, following this, the ball is able to break through the stair wall and bounces off the wall, ultimately ending at the floor. At first, my goal was to bring the hand towards the stairs, make a fist and then destroy the stairs. Finally, grabbing the ball and throwing it with a high amount of force, making the ball go crazy around bouncing all around. 

Actually, I attempted to do this but I gave up and deleted everything so I opted for the enlargement in fingers, and what actually inspired me was this scene from the anime called "Jujutsu Kaisen". Obviously, my animation is like 10000000x worse than this one, but it still provided me inspiration.


As clearly seen, this is a way more complex version of mine. This also involves camera movement and much more dynamics in the movement of the roots that enlarged. I believe the background was also animated which made this look much more impressive. Usually, when there is camera control, the background would is CG.





Comments